LIGHTSCAPES FAQs 2016
1. What’s a LIGHTSCAPES?
So glad you asked! LIGHTSCAPES is the latest creation from the Historic Hudson Valley special events team. It’s an immersive journey into a springtime garden fantasy featuring colorful creatures and fantastic flowers. It takes place in the historic landscape of Van Cortlandt Manor in Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.
2. What will I be immersed in?
Art, light, sound, and special effects. Walk through a rainbow and emerge from a bubbly haze into a dreamland of curiosities spread throughout this historic landscape as far as the eye can see. Recycled elements serve as eco-friendly building blocks for intergalactic flora and friendly woodland creatures. Otherworldly mushrooms, immense insects, and brilliant butterflies are among the thousands of treasures you’ll find. Be amazed by delightful dragonflies, cute ladybugs, and an avalanche of pinwheels! State-of-the-art illumination highlights these amazing works of art and showcases Van Cortlandt Manor’s gorgeous natural landscape and specimen trees.
3. Sounds like a bright idea…can I see this anywhere else?
Absolutely not! All the sculpture is hand-made by our small creative team and can only be seen here.
4. So just how many colorful creatures and fantastic flowers are there?
There are more than 7,500 tulips, hundreds of butterflies, and about 100 giant ladybugs, to cite just a few examples.
5. Did you say 7,500 flowers? And did you say giant ladybugs?
Yes. And yes (and by giant, think the size of a turtle, though there’s a giant turtle as well which is actually quite large).
6. OK, now I can hardly wait. When can I see LIGHTSCAPES?
Come check it out Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in May, plus April 29-30 and Memorial Day Monday, PLUS Fridays-Sundays, June 3-5, 10-12...26 evenings in all!
7. My time is money. How long does it take to see all of LIGHTSCAPES?
Approximately 45 minutes.
8. When I’m viewing thousands of fantastic futuristic flowers and giant ladybugs — which I’ve never done before — I need proper lighting. How will you satisfy that need?
Professional lighting designer Jay Woods is working closely with the team to provide the LIGHT in LIGHTSCAPES.
9. This all sounds super groovy. What would make it even more groovy, is some really cool music. Is music a part of LIGHTSCAPES?
Yes! This year we are thrilled to partner with Phish collaborator Steve Pollak, AKA The Dude of Life, and Charlie de Saint Phalle. The pair are creating all new music and sound effects that you’ll hear throughout the experience.
10. Right on! Who created all these incredible…creations?
Creative Director Michael Natiello led a small team of Historic Hudson Valley staff and local artists.
11. Pics or it didn't happen. May I photograph at LIGHTSCAPES? Got any tips for capturing the moment?
You may, but you must leave tripods and monopods at home. Also, you should know that using an overaggressive flash, besides temporarily blinding those around you, just might ruin your pictures. To ideally capture the ambient light, use a slow synch or nighttime setting. Post your best work online, tag it #LIGHTSCAPES, and share it with us!
12. Do I really have to leave my tripod and monopod at home?
13. I’m lit up over LIGHTSCAPES and want to do more in the area, any ideas?
The area is chock full of fun things to do. Great daytime experiences include tours of Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate, Washington Irving’s Sunnyside, and Philipsburg Manor. On May 14, there’s a fun daytime event called Discover Pinkster! at Philipsburg Manor.
14. I subscribe to Artforum, ARTnews, and ArtReview, and I’m here for the artistry. Is there anything for me to do during the day?
Yes, a visit to Union Church of Pocantico Hills is a must. It contains stained glass windows by Marc Chagall and Henri Matisse.
15. Seeing things in person is fantastic, but I’m a newly licensed social media guru and dozens are living vicariously through me online. Can I Tweet/Facebook/Pin/YouTube you?
Yes. Tweet at us on Twitter.
Become a fan of LIGHTSCAPES on Facebook.
Check out our Pinterest, our Instagram, and our YouTube channel.
16. Being a social media guru, I can only attend events that have an unofficial “official” hashtag. Might there be one for LIGHTSCAPES?
#LIGHTSCAPES. Easy to remember. Tweet it, Facebook it, Pin it, Instagram it, and +1 it!
17. Is LIGHTSCAPES handicapped accessible? What about strollers?
LIGHTSCAPES is handicapped accessible, as there are no stairs to negotiate through the installation. However, there are some narrow and slightly sloped brick paths and it is a walk-through experience along uneven, unpaved, soft-surface terrain. Handicapped parking is available, but your car must display a handicapped placard or plate. Strollers are permitted, but keep in mind that strollers which are particularly wide may not fit through some of the site’s more narrow passageways.
18. I love to procrastinate and show up to events without RSVPing. Do I really have to buy tickets in advance?
We sell timed tickets in advance in order to safely accommodate visitors and to ensure a pleasant environment for all. Once a time slot or date is sold out, it’s really sold out, so we strongly recommend buying in advance (and online, so you save money!)
19. I’m a proud member of Historic Hudson Valley, do I need a reservation?
Absolutely! Historic Hudson Valley members attend LIGHTSCAPES for free, but must make advance reservations. Not a member? CLICK HERE
20. Historic Hudson Valley. Is that a place or a state of mind?
Actually, it’s a non-profit network of historic sites in Sleepy Hollow Country and the Great Estates region, including Van Cortlandt Manor. The others are Washington Irving’s Sunnyside; Philipsburg Manor; and the Union Church of Pocantico Hills. The organization operates public tours at Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate, a historic site of the National Trust.
21. I’m as impulsive as all get out. I need to buy tickets right now!
Patience is a virtue: Tickets go on sale April 1! CLICK HERE to become a member. You can also call 914-366-6900 to buy tickets ($2 per ticket surcharge added for phone orders).
22. I can’t believe I accidentally bought tickets for the same night as the birthday party for my great aunt’s third cousin’s daughter. Can I exchange them for another session?
Sorry, all ticket sales are final. They are, however, transferable. So feel free to give them to a friend.
23. It’s raining and I dress exclusively in suede. Can I get a refund or exchange my tickets?
LIGHTSCAPES takes place rain or shine. In extreme weather conditions, Historic Hudson Valley reserves the right to cancel the event and issue refunds. See our Weather Policy for details.
24. Can I park my ride for free?
Parking at LIGHTSCAPES is always FREE, safe, and secure.
25. My pets, Diana the tabby, Harvey the Westy, and Taco the guinea pig are all part of my family. Can they come to LIGHTSCAPES?
Sorry, but no. LIGHTSCAPES is for humans only.
26. Clearly Historic Hudson Valley couldn’t have done this all on its own. Who else helped?
We graciously thank our generous sponsors, LIGHTSCAPES Founding Sponsor Entergy, Presenting Sponsor Westchester Medical Center, Seasonal Partner Green Mountain Energy, and LIGHTSCAPES Media Sponsor WHUD 100.7 FM.
27. I’m starving. Will food be available at the event?
Yes, indeed…all sorts of goodies including spring-themed sweets, baked goods, and savories from Geordane’s of Irvington, plus organic sorbet and ice cream sandwiches from Blue Pig of Croton.
28. My kids are starving, too, but is this event appropriate for my young child?
LIGHTSCAPES is totally suitable for a general audience, from babies to seniors!
29. I like takeaways, actual takeaways like souvenirs. Will there be a LIGHTSCAPES gift shop?
Yes! We are thrilled to be introducing an amazing selection of new LIGHTSCAPES gift items this season, made exclusively for us! We have been working with Suzanne Christine (famous for her Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze oil paintings), and will be offering many special gifts featuring her two new LIGHTSCAPES paintings.All of these great items are manufactured in the USA: A gorgeous 100% cotton throw, magnets, beautiful lined journals, colorful notecards and postcards, bookmarks, adult and kids t-shirts and caps, delicious fairies/turtles/mushrooms shaped cookies (made by Flour and Sun Bakery in Pleasantville), a tasty strawberry syrup, and blueberry/lemon topping. We'll even have a garden/veggie risotto and a creamy kale dip; lemon/verbena soap, and a luscious cucumber/freesia hand soap. Seeds ready to be planted in your garden from the Hudson Valley Seed Library, hand-made flower earrings and necklaces crafted by local artisans. Enjoy an amazing selection of home and garden gifts: dragonfly and butterfly lanterns, whimsical teapots, ceramic frogs and gnomes, bee-shaped birdhouses, ladybug timers, butterfly paperweights, capiz shell boxes, dragonfly watering cans, peony vases, a fun mushroom bank, a beautiful fairy house, boxwood topiaries and much more! A fantastic array of colorful and fun kids toys that light up, make noises, educate, and entertain will also be available, as well as books, books, and more books!
30. I adore food and gifts...but I have no cash..am I out of luck?
Not at all, we accept all major credit cards and debit cards!
31. LIGHTSCAPES…why all those capital letters?
Because it's JUST…THAT…BIG.