Horseman’s Hollow FAQs
1. Horseman’s Hollow? Who is this Horseman guy anyway?
Horseman’s Hollow is a haunted experience inspired by Washington Irving’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and his iconic character the Headless Horseman. However, versions of the Headless Horseman character have been frightening people since at least the Middle Ages. A “dark man” shows up in Celtic folklore and also in the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.
2. And I should be scared of him because….?
Umm, he doesn’t have a head and is looking for a replacement? Seriously, in Irving’s tale the Headless Horseman is a Hessian soldier who was decapitated in battle. He’s doomed to forever roam the land looking for his head, and terrifying whoever might get in his way.
3. Okay, so he’s pretty scary. But why are you doing this at Philipsburg Manor?
Philipsburg Manor is in the heart of the actual Sleepy Hollow — the very same village that Irving set his classic story in. (Just to the south is Tarrytown, where Irving once lived at Sunnyside!) To suit the historical nature of the setting and the story, our event is period-correct. That means you won’t see freaky clowns (a relief for all your coulrophobic friends!) or chain saws.
4. What makes this “haunted experience” so different from an average haunted house?
Our award-winning makeup artists, sound and lighting engineers, and professional actors fiendishly conspire to make this a truly period-correct, terrifying experience, right in the heart of the actual Sleepy Hollow. It doesn’t get any spookier than that! This all-immersive indoor and outdoor event goes way beyond, and is way scarier, than your standard gorefest.
5. And people like this?
Yes, our visitors love being terrified. Don’t just take our word for it — watch some of our visitor testimonials.
6. Lines are not my thing. How do I get a VIP experience?
You’re in luck! You can upgrade your Horseman’s Hollow experience with a Fast Track ticket. Fast Track ticket holders queue up in a separate entrance from general admission ticket holders, and they are let in FIRST in their time slot. Get more details here.
7. My kids don’t scare that easily. Can I bring along my baby/toddler/young child?
Spare yourself some nightmares and book a babysitter because this experience is recommended for ages 10 and up.
8. I was there last year. Will I be bored if I go again?
No! Our creative team spends all year dreaming up new scares.
9. After I’m scared out of my mind, what else is there to do in Sleepy Hollow?
Slow things down a notch by taking a stroll through The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze. More than 7,000 pumpkins in spectacular sculptures are set up on the grounds of Van Cortlandt Manor. Or you might want to go deeper into The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by taking in a performance of Irving’s ‘Legend,’ where master storyteller Jonathan Kruk puts his spin on the yarn in the Old Dutch Church.
10. Has anyone ever been permanently lost in Horseman’s Hollow corn maze?
While it might feel like you’re never getting out of the maze alive, don’t fret. Our staff makes sure no one gets stuck forever.
11. How many people have been scared witless at your event?
Last year we had the privilege of terrifying more than 27,000 people.
12. Most haunted houses are over and done before you’ve really noticed what’s going on. How long is the Horseman’s Hollow event?
We weave our masterful story through a haunted trail, the remains of Ichabod’s Schoolhouse, and into a corn maze. Expect to be frightened for at least 40 minutes.
13. I fully believe in reaching out and touching someone, but maybe not in this situation. Will any of the actors grab me?
We agree and we have a no-touching rule. That goes for both characters and visitors!
14. Life’s too short to be pinned down. Do I really need to make a reservation?
Yes! These events sell out! To ensure you can attend on your preferred date, please make your reservations as early as possible.
15. I refuse to travel by land. What are my options for getting there?
All pirates are welcome! New York Water Taxi offers round trip service from Manhattan on Saturdays, Oct. 15, 22 and 29. A shuttle will take ferry riders to various locations in Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown, including the intersection of Gordon Avenue and Route 9, which is two blocks from the entrance to Horseman’s Hollow.
16. All that screaming really works up an appetite. Is there anywhere to eat?
Don’t let your stomach start screaming too! In addition to our Horseman’s Hollow café on site, we’ve gathered up this list of some of our favorite places to eat nearby.
17. Is Horseman’s Hollow handicapped accessible?
Horseman’s Hollow is handicapped accessible, as there are no stairs to negotiate through the installation. However, it is a walk-through experience along uneven, unpaved, soft-surface terrain. Handicapped parking is available, but your car must display a handicapped placard or plate.
18. I melt in the rain. What happens in bad weather?
While we welcome any relative of the Wicked Witch of the West, Horseman’s Hollow takes place rain or shine. In extreme weather conditions, Historic Hudson Valley reserves the right to cancel the event and issue refunds. See our Weather Policy for details.
19. What’s so Historic about the Hudson Valley?
Historic Hudson Valley operates sites in Sleepy Hollow Country and the Great Estates region, including Van Cortlandt Manor, Washington Irving’s Sunnyside; Philipsburg Manor; and the Union Church of Pocantico Hills. The organization operates public tours at Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate, a historic site of the National Trust.
20. Okay, I’m sold. When can I see Horseman’s Hollow in 2016?
Horseman's Hollow takes place on 14 select evenings in October. Make your reservations for any of the following dates: Oct. 7-9, 14-16, 21-23, 27-31.
21. Everyone likes a good deal though. What can you do for me?
Oh, have we got a deal for you! Historic Hudson Valley members get $5 off regular admission -- and premier members get FREE tickets and don’t have to make reservations. Find out more about becoming a Historic Hudson Valley member.
22. My motto is see and be seen…on social media, anyway. Is there an official hashtag so everyone knows I’m there?
There is! Facebooking, Tweeting, and Instagramming are all highly encouraged. Our official hashtag is #HorsemansHollow. And be sure to follow us on social media as well:
Follow us on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.
Follow us Instagram.
Subscribe to our channel on YouTube.
Follow us on Pinterest.
Follow us on Google+.
23. Hey, I love scaring people! What do I have to do to get in on this action?
When we need actors for Horseman’s Hollow, we’ll put out a call on our social media handles. Just another reason to follow us!
24. I’m so excited, I can’t wait! What can I do while I’m counting down the days until Horseman’s Hollow?
Watch this. On repeat.