Previous image
Next image
 

Old Dutch Church

Old Dutch Church
Richard K. Sneden (active 1858-1897)
New York, 1897
Ink and watercolor on paper

The Old Dutch Church, standing near Philipsburg Manor on the east side of Route 9, is one of the oldest active houses of worship in the United States. Its weathervane pierced with the brand of Frederick Philipse indicated its status as Manor property. The Philipses underwrote the construction of the structure, donated ceremonial objects used during services, and are buried in the family vault under the church. The formation of the Tarrytown congregation in 1697 served as an incentive to encourage settlement on the Manor of Philipsburg. Tenant farmers, whose farmsteads were miles apart, worshipped at, and socialized after, church services.

 

Previous image
Go to the Story where this image appears
Next image